When hummingbirds flap/flutter their wings, they move them so quickly that I think they sound like light sabers from Star Wars...and all of a sudden, there was quite the loud light saber noise coming from our dining room. The poor hummingbird flew into our house and then hovered around the window where the feeder normally hangs.
I, of course, didn't know what to do and so called Jason at work. (I mean, what do you do with a bird that frantically darts everywhere and has a rather long pointy beak for his small bird size?) Jason suggested using a t-shirt to guide it back towards the door but when I ran off for the shirt, the exhausted bird crashed into the bottom corner of the window and I would have smooshed him if I tried to scoop him with the shirt. So, I then had the brilliant idea to fix the hummingbird food and fill the feeder and hold it next to him and by that means lead him out to the backyard. That didn't work either because by the time I filled the feeder, he was flying around in a frenzy again and attacking the window. He finally perched on the window sill and I was able to scoop him with the shirt and carry him outside. I plopped him on the grill so that he would be safe from Lucy (who, by the way, thought this was the most exciting thing she's ever seen inside our house...she kept putting her paws on the window sill to get a better look at the struggling bird!)
After I deposited the hummingbird on top of the grill, he didn't move and then realized that the top of the grill was probably sizzling hot from sitting in the sun! Had I finally worked up the nerve to save Mr. Hummingbird only to fry him seconds later?? Thankfully I was able to shoo him off the grill and he flew off (immediately out of our yard I noticed.)
Here is one of the hummingbird's feathers (with a penny for size comparison) that he left inside our dining room.


1 comment:
My childhood cat (not Candy) liked to bring live birds in the house and let them go so they could fly around and entertain us. This always happened when my father was taking a nap. He'd grumble about the disturbance, then take out his handkerchief, use it to capture the bird. He'd set the poor creature free outside. My cat could never figure out why we didn't like her friends.
Post a Comment