Since Jason is still away, he missed out in carving our pumpkin (it was a lot more challenging than I remember as a child...looking back, I must have left the carving up to my parents!) and seeing all of the costumed kids parade through our neighborhood this evening. My favorites are the itty-bitty kids who just stand in front of the candy bowl and are too shy to even open up their bags, much less to say "trick or treat" or "thank you" upon their parent's prompting. I definitely had two kids who lisped their "twick or tweat." The most popular costumes in our neighborhood were Spiderman and variations on Fairies (Sugar Fairy, Pretty Fairy, Princess Fairy, Dark Fairy, and plain old Fairy.) I love the little three-year-old boys in their Spiderman outfits, complete with fake muscles sewn into their arms. Friends of ours had their adorably chubby 5 month old stuffed in a hot dog costume and his 2 year old brother was Woody, from Toy Story, with a cowboy hat, bandanna, sheriff's star, and wearing a horse around his waist that had a long tail in the rear and four legs hanging down by his feet and a head in front. He got the horse in the mail on Saturday from his grandma and has evidently been sleeping with it at night...too cute. There was one pre-teen clothed in a colonial dress and mob cap but when I asked if she was a Colonial Girl, she informed me she was a "Pilgrim Ninja" (!) and twirled her pillowcase/candy bag around to prove her point.I have never seen a neighborhood that decorates more for Halloween. It must be the newest trend. There were fake spiderwebs all over the place and orange twinkle lights and more than a few homes sported gravestones with bony hands sticking up out of the ground. I was anticipating quite a few trick-or-treaters but I think since we live at the very end of our neighborhood not many people felt our street was worth the extra walk. Also, for those who did come down our street, not many stopped by our house in the beginning. I think it is because our front door faces our driveway instead of the street so people couldn't tell if the porch light was on or not. Once I moved a chair and our pumpkins to the end of our driveway, however, I got a lot more customers. I didn't buy all that candy not to give it away!


No comments:
Post a Comment