Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cooper Hawk

We're had quite the wildlife experience living at Point Mugu (dead whales, dolphins, and baby harbor seals washed up on Family Beach, coyotes on the street outside the base, dead gophers in our yard, a hummingbird inside our house, owls hooting in the trees outside our bedroom window, sightings of Turkey Vultures and Long-Billed Curlews on our early morning walks, and sightings of pelicans, herons, and egrets at the beach as well as dolphins and harbor seals) and a new one just occurred this morning. Lucy and I were in the living room and we heard all of this commotion outside in our backyard. When I finally got up to see what was going on, there was a large bird with his wings spread out on one of our bushes. I openned the back screen and it flew up and perched on the fence. Only then did I realize that it was trying to attack a small bird inside of the bush. Lucy had a great time chasing the bird from the fence up into a tree while I got out Jason's birdbook and tried to identify what kind of bird it was. Based on the pictures that I took and the description in the birdbook, I think we had a Cooper Hawk in our backyard!

No comments: