Today my parents and I went to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. It was great! It is located in Simi Valley and was only a 30-40 minute drive away. I was just a tiny child when Reagan was the President but I have always heard good things about his presidency. I thought that the museum did a fantastic job presenting Reagan's life leading up to his venture into politics and then his tenure as the President and as a result, I am beginning to understand why so many people respect Reagan both as a man and as a political leader. I especially enjoyed reading numerous quotes that Reagan said and that the museum has stenciled on the walls throughout the displays...such as "You can tell a lot about a fellow's character by his way of eating jellybeans" and "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you that I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes," which he evidently said during a radio microphone test. His sense of humor as well as his love for Nancy are clearly evident throughout the museum.One of the neatest things that the museum has is the actual Air Force One used by all of the Presidents from Nixon through our current George Bush. We were able to walk through the plane and see the various compartments for the President and First Lady as well as Cabinet members, Air Force members, and media. Interestingly, all members of the press that fly on Air Force One are required to pay for first class tickets and that is still true today. Evidently Reagan also liked to eat chocolate cake decorated with cherries on top and there was always one on board. If it happened to be a staff member's birthday, then they would present the cake to that member and then share it amongst the rest of those on board. Even if it wasn't anyone's birthday, they would still have the cake...that way Reagan always had his chocolate fix! The museum also has a replica of the Oval Office, which is very impressive to see.

Outside of the museum is a section of the Berlin Wall that was torn down. It is also where Reagan is buried.



And, my Dad and I decided to do a self-portrait!



No comments:
Post a Comment